Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Rend Lake Artisans Center

Yesterday on our way to Paducah,  my friend Stephanie and I stopped at the Rend Lake Artisans Center.  I had read about it last year in one of Mickey DePre's postings.  We stopped on our way home last year but got there just as they were closing (5:00 p.m.) and only had a few minutes to quickly run through.  This year we were able to take our time.

It is a great place that features items produced by Illinois artisans.  It has everything from metal sculpture, quilted items, pottery, glassworks, wooden pieces and much more.  I think it is wonderful that the state has chosen to honor their artisans this way.

If you are traveling on I57 in Illinois I heartily recommend a stop.  Unfortunately no pictures are allowed as I would love to show you some of the items.

In addition to the shop, they had an amazing display of Civil War quilts made by women in Illinois.  It was just amazing to see all these beautiful quilts and read the stories about the families related to them.  Again, no pictures but take my word, it is definitely worth a look.

No comments: